Mosquito Safety Tips and Information
Please review the below information for tips on how to stay safe with mosquitos this fall, and additional resources available to you.
- Positive mosquito pools for West Nile Virus (WNV) have been on the increase the past five years and is 60% higher this year than last year.
- There has been an upsurge in the County of WNV cases, specifically in areas of Dumont, Lodi, Maywood, Ridgefield Park, and Teaneck.
- The County Mosquito Commission have been targeting the affected areas with enhanced ground-based spraying, and some aerial spraying.
What can you do?
- Homeowners should regularly drain standing water wherever it collects.
- Be especially mindful for the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions or compromised immune systems, who are more
prone to the WNV disease.
- Precautions to take for those concerned about exposures from the County's aerial spraying include: close windows and keep pets inside during spraying; should skin or clothes get exposed, wash with soap and water; rinse vegetable gardens with water; cover ornamental fish ponds.
- Residents may call County Mosquito Control at (201) 634-2880/2881 for any other information about spraying or to request a spraying at your home.